Firearms Licensing (COVID-19)
Firearms Licensing shall be completed through a mail-in process or application drop off to our mailbox located in the lobby of the Barnstable Police Department, available 24/7. Please DO NOT come to the station to apply for your license at this time.
The following guidelines will assist you in submitting your application via US Mail or lobby drop off:
- New licenses applicants should download the Firearms Application from our website – under the Records Division, Firearms Licensing tab.
- New license applicants will be required to come to the BPD (AT A LATER TIME) to complete fingerprints. We will continue to process your application until such time that fingerprints can be obtained post CODID-19 restrictions.
Renewal applicants will not require new fingerprints.
- New applicants are also required to take a Firearms Safety Course. Upon completion of the safety course applicants will be issued a certificate which will be required documentation for the firearms license application.
- The fee for applications is $100.00, unless you are over 70 years of age. If you are over 70 years of age, and this is a renewal the application is free. A check, money order, or online payment is acceptable. Checks and money orders are made payable to TOWN OF BARNSTABLE.
- All applicants should mail or drop off their completed application form, check or a copy of the paid online receipt along with your firearms safety certificate (if applicable), to Barnstable Police Department PO Box B, Hyannis, MA 02601 ATTN: Records Division
- Please be sure to include a check, money order, or online receipt for the licensing fee in the amount of $100.
- Also include your email address so that records staff can contact you with any questions and make arrangements for an appointment to obtain fingerprints.
- A receipt of the transaction will be mailed to you.
- For persons that renew their licenses BEFORE they expire, the transaction receipt will keep your current license active until the new one is either approved or denied.If you have any questions regarding firearms licensing procedures or applicable fees, Please contact Records Supervisor Kathleen Hinckley at 508-775-5466 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Firearm Fees as follows:
License to Carry $100.00
Firearms Identification Card $100.00
Firearms Identification Card-under 18 YOA $ 25.00
Renewal applicants over the age of 70 $ .00
Retired law enforcement personnel $ 25.00
Make all checks and money orders payable to TOWN OF BARNSTABLE.
Also, take advantage of our online payment option using the link above.