When is the next Police exam?

The civil service exam is given every year. For more information please contact the Massachusetts Human Resources Division at 617-727-3777 or visit their website.

Is there a residency requirement to become a Barnstable Police Officer?

The Barnstable Police Department is a civil service town, residence get residency preference, however you do not need to be a resident of the Town of Barnstable to receive a letter from Civil Service to apply.   In order to receive resident preference you must be a resident of the town for at least one year prior to taking the civil service exam. For other entrance requirements or information, please contact Human Resources at 617-727-3777 or visit their website.

Does the police department hire officers from other cities or states?

The Barnstable Police Department does accept lateral transfers under civil service laws. If you are interested in a lateral transfer please contact recruiting Sergeant Corey Frederickson at 283@barnstablepolice.com

I am interested in a career in law enforcement. Do you have any internships in the BPD?

Yes, the Department does offer a limited number of internships. The internships are unpaid. Please obtain an application under the forms section as well as a copy of the intern policy and requirements. For more information on internships, please contact Anne Spillane, Finance & Support Services Director at 508-778-3806.

Does the Barnstable Police Department hire summer officers?

The Barnstable Police Department no longer hires summer officers as they have in the past. However,  the Barnstable Police Department has a summer and winter Community Service Officer program for anyone that is 18+. This is a unarmed paid program that can also be used as an internship. The application for this program typically is posted in January or February. For more information please contact Lt. Michael Riley at 199@barnstablepolice.com

Does the Barnstable Police Department have a college internship program?

The Barnstable Police Department no longer has an internship program. The Community Services Officer Program can apply towards internship hours. If you have approval from your college or university to do so, you absolutely may use the experience to fulfill internship requirements towards a degree. If hired, please let your supervisor know that you are interested in internship credits. 

I was in a motor vehicle accident. Where can I get my accident report?

Reports are available in person at the Barnstable Police department during normal business hours for a fee of 5 cents per page. Or, they are available 24 hours a day at BuyCrash.com. We are unable to fax accident reports under any circumstances.

When will my accident report be completed?

Typically accident reports are available 72 hours after your accident.

I collect patches and would like to have a Barnstable Police Patch sent to me. How can I obtain a patch?

All requests must be sent in writing to the Administration Office at BPD at 1200 Phinney’s Lane, Hyannis, MA 02601. Please include your name, address, and reason for the patch request. If you are in law enforcement, you may want to send a patch from your police department as well.

Where can I find more information about getting a Firearms License?

Please visit the Massachusetts State website at mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/frequently-asked-questions.html

How do I request a tour of the Barnstable Police Department headquarters?

Please contact the Administrative Office at the Barnstable Police Department for more information. Tours are given on a limited basis.

My question was not answered here.

Please contact the Barnstable Police Department via email at 793@barnstablepolice.com.