Record Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain criminal offender record information?
iCORI provides access to Massachusetts-only criminal offender record information.  You are eligible to:
Request an ICORI on a member of the public
Personal – Self: Request your own CORI

How do I obtain a copy of a Public Record from the Police Department?
It is the goal of the Barnstable Police Department to provide the public with access to all information defined as public, by law or regulation, while maintaining the confidentiality of information exempted from release.  To request a public record document:
Barnstable Police Department Records Access Officer: Danielle Paradis

How do I obtain a Taxi License in the Town of Barnstable?
Taxi/Limousine Licenses are issued by the Barnstable Police Department to all taxi/limousine drivers’ operating in the Town.  To obtain a license download the application and submit in-person to the Records Department.  You must provide a valid driver’s license for identification. Taxi licensing hours are: Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM-11:30 AM and 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM

Taxi – Limo License Application

Can you complete a fingerprint request for my new employer?

The Records Department provides general purpose fingerprinting services for residents of Barnstable only. Fingerprinting is offered by appointment Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:30am and 3:30pm. Residents must provide positive identification along with proof of residence. Acceptable forms of identification include a Massachusetts driver’s license, Massachusetts ID, or Passport with an acceptable proof of residency. Out of State ID’s may be accepted if presented with an acceptable proof of residency. This includes a tax bill, credit card statement, utility bill or checkbook showing their name and Town of Barnstable address.

Fingerprint cards should be obtained from the requesting agency and filled out/completed prior to arriving at the Police Station and all identifying information on the card must match the ID provided. Please do not sign the card; it must be signed in the presence of the official taking your fingerprints.

In most cases, the agency requiring the resident to be fingerprinted provides the person with the blank fingerprint cards imprinted with the agency’s ORI (9-character Originating Agency Identification Number) to ensure the FBI results are returned to the proper agency. Please check with the requesting agency to obtain their imprinted Fingerprint cards. The Records Division does have blank FBI FD-258 fingerprinting cards if needed.

Fingerprinting for Immigration purposes, including international adoptions is not provided by the Barnstable Police Department and can be done at the Boston ASC (Adoption Support Center), 170 Portland Street, Boston, MA 02114. Please refer to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services Website at for more information on immigration and adoption fingerprinting requirements.

Please call Laura in the Records Department at 508-778-3831 to schedule an appointment.

How can I have an individual trespassed from my property?
It is the policy of the Barnstable Police Department to provide appropriate levels of assistance to property owners or other persons in control of the property in situations involving violations of trespass laws.
To trespass an individual from your property:

  • Download and complete the attached form
  • All trespass orders must be served in the presence of a police officer or Constable.
  • Trespass orders will not be valid until the complete form is returned to the Barnstable Police Department.
  • Trespass Orders are valid for up to two years from the date of issuance.
  • Trespass Orders must be renewed thereafter for enforcement action to occur.
    Trespass Statute Notice


Does the Barnstable Police Department take unwanted medications?
Yes, our medication collection box is available 24/7.  It is located in the front Lobby of our Police Facility located at 1200 Phinney’s Lane, Hyannis, MA.
Simply deposit your medication(s) in the box at a time that is convenient for you.  There are no forms to complete.
“Sharps” are not accepted at the BPD medication kiosk.  It you have “Sharps” you can visit the COMM Fire Department who will accept.
Disposing your unwanted medications in our kiosk is a step forward in combating the theft and illegal diversion and misuse of prescription medications.

Disposal Information

How do I obtain a Hawker/Peddler’s License in the Town of Barnstable?
As authorized by MGL c.6, 172B+1/2, all individuals applying for hawking/peddling or other door-to-door sales and ice cream truck vendors must be civilly fingerprinted.  Civil fingerprints will only be done for residents of the Town of Barnstable.  The fee for civil fingerprints is $50.00.  A check in the amount of $30.00 must be paid via money order or bank check made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  The remaining $20.00 fee can be paid in cash or by check payable to the Town of Barnstable.
Two licenses are required to conduct this type of business in the Town.
One is a state license required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Division of Standards.  The second license is a Town of Barnstable license issued by the Chief of Police.
To obtain a license download the application and submit in-person to the Records Unit.  You must provide positive identification.  Acceptable forms or identification include a Massachusetts driver’s license, Massachusetts ID, or Passport.
Ice Cream Vendor Application

Hawker,Peddler,Door-to-Door App

Can I request a letter of good conduct from the police department?

Letters of good conduct will no longer be provided by the Barnstable Police Department

How do I inquire about a lost/found item?
Lost items can be reported by phone 508.775.5466, or in person at the main desk at the Barnstable Police Department. Found items need to be brought to the Police Department for processing as soon as possible. Our policy states that items not recovered within one (1) year and one (1) day will be sent to auction.

Detainee Property (personal property)

If you are arrested it is the policy of the Barnstable Police Department to safeguard any personal property left at the Station for a maximum of 30 days from the date of arrest.
If you fail to retrieve your property within 30 days and that property is deemed to have no commercial value, it will be destroyed without further notice to the owner. If the property is deemed to have commercial value, notice will be sent to the last known address of the owner instructing them that they have 10 days to retrieve the property or it will be auctioned.
Personal property can only be collected by the owner of the property, unless an arrestee is incapable of collecting his/her belongings in person, then a third party may collect their belongings for them if such third party has a signed letter from the arrestee, authorizing the collection of the property.
The letter must either be:
• Made on correctional/institutional facility letterhead or form which has either been notarized or co-signed by a facility employee;
• from the arrestee’s attorney or; notarized.
Personal property can be retrieved from the Barnstable Police Department Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM


Firearm Fees as follows: 
License to Carry                                                  $100.00
Firearms Identification Card                                $100.00
Firearms Identification Card-under 18 YOA        $25.00
Renewal applicants over the age of 70               $.00
Retired law enforcement personnel                    $25.00