The Barnstable Police Department Traffic Unit oversees the safety along our communities four hundred sixty-one miles of roadway within our seven villages. The primary functions of the Traffic Unit include enforcement, roadway construction management, educational activities directed toward reducing crashes and the performance of general and technical crash investigations. The Barnstable Police Traffic Unit is constantly exploring and implementing new and innovative methods to improve traffic safety and decrease serious injury / fatal crashes. Through enforcement, education and engineering, we strive to make our communities roadways a safer environment to travel.
The Barnstable Police Traffic Unit strives to include everyone in our community to be a Traffic Safety Advocate.
Extra Duty Detail Request
The following chart shows total for each increment including the 10% surcharge:
4 Hour (Minimum) 8 Hour
Patrol Officers Regular Rate: $330 $660
Patrol Officers weekend, holidays or between 1600 and 0600 hours
Emergency Work, including between 1900 and 0600 hours:
Sergeant in Charge (OIC) plus $4 per hour
Cruiser $ 80 $160
Boat $140 $280
DETAILS MUST BE CANCELLED AT LEAST ONE HOUR PRIOR to detail start time, call 508-775-0387 ext. #2 for Dispatch or ext. #4 for Traffic, during normal office hours*.
IF LESS THAN ONE HOUR, THE VENDOR WILL BE BILLED FOR THE MINIMUM OF FOUR HOURS FOR EACH OFFICER SCHEDULED FOR THAT DETAIL.
Traffic Office * 508-778-3858 email@example.com
Dispatch 508-775-0387 ext. #2 After 1600 hours or for Emergencies
* Normal Office Hours for Traffic Office are Monday through Friday, 0800 to 1600
Keep the Peace Detail Request
- The Defendant is required to complete all fields on the online form. NOTE: All the date(s) and time(s) chosen by the defendant must be at minimum, one week in advance of the filing date to allow for proper communications with all parties involved. Due to complexities in staffing, the detail may not be filled. In this case, second then third choice date(s) and time(s) would be implemented.
- Payment is required upon submittal of the form. Barnstable Police details have a four-hour minimum ($330), plus processing fees.
- The Defendant is required to contact the Detail Coordinator (508-778-3858) to confirm the detail status; this is to be done on the day before the detail. NOTE: If the detail requires cancellation, the Defendant or Plaintiff are required to contact the Barnstable Police Department (508-775-0387) and speak with an officer or dispatcher. A voicemail or email message will not suffice or be accepted as a proper cancellation. All cancellations are to be made at a minimum, one hour prior to the detail’s scheduled start time.
COMMERCIAL VEHICLE GUIDELINES
Class A CDL REQUIRED: Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR
Class B CDL REQUIRED: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a trailer not in excess of 10,000 pounds
Articles weighing 10,000 pounds or more require tie-downs at all four corners •Wheeled or tracked vehicles over 10,000 pounds require four direct (anchor) tie-downs and tightening devices •Protection is mandatory if a tie-down is at risk of abrasion where it touches an article of cargo •Booms must be lowered and properly secured •Articles that are likely to roll require chocks, wedges, or a cradle •For machinery, anything less than 10,000 pounds requires (1) tie down in the front and (1) tie down in the rear •To satisfy federal regulations, as long as tie downs have a weight rating, you may use chains or straps. •Equipment manufacturers typically have their own securement specifications and tie down points to be aware of •When in doubt, it’s always a good practice to use another chain or strap VISIT THE FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON CARGO CONTAINMENT AND GETTING A USDOT# https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/
MOST COMMON COMMERCIAL VEHICLE VIOLATIONS:
WEIGHT VIOLATIONS: (OVERALL,AXLE,FEDERAL BRIDGE)
MGL C90s19A, FINES BASED ON WEIGHT, FINES INCREASE AS WEIGHT INCREASES CAN BE ISSUED TO THE DRIVER, OWNER OR PERSON THAT LOADED THE TRUCK. WEIGHT PERMIT INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE AT: https://www.mass.gov/commercial-truck-permits
· UNLICENSED OP. OR OP. VEHICLE OUTSIDE OF LICENSE CLASS: (NO CDL WHEN REQUUIRED) MGL C90s10 – CRIMINAL CITATION
· VEHICLE NOT INSPECTED: MGL C90s20 – $55, ISSUED TO OWNER OR DRIVER
· HANDS FREE ELECTRONIC DEVICE: MGL C90s13A – 1ST OFFENSE $105, 2ND OFFENSE $255, 3RD OFFENSE $505 ISSUED TO DRIVER
· UNCOVERED/UNSECURED LOAD: MGL C85s36 – $200, ISSUED TO DRIVER
· NUMBER PLATE MISSING/OBSCURED: MGL C90s6 – $40, ISSUED TO OWNER OR DRIVER
· SPEEDING: MGL C90s17 – MINIMUN OF $105, ISSUED TO DRIVER
· IMPROPER WINDOW TINT: MGL C90s9A – $255, ISSUED TO OWNER OR DRIVER (WINDOW TINT MUST 35% OR HIGHER)
· FAILURE TO DISPLAY OWNER MARKINGS OR USDOT#: 540CMR2.22 – $35, ISSUED TO OWNER OR DRIVER
· TIRE TREAD DEPTH: MGL C90s7Q – $40 SUBSEQUENT OFFENSES ARE HIGHER FINES ISSUED TO DRIVER OR OWNER
· ***FALSIFYING RESIDENCY FOR REGISTRATION PURPOSES TO EVADE TAX AND REGISTRATION FEES:*** MGL C90s31/2 – $500 OR CRIMINAL CITATION. ISSUED TO OWNER/PRESIDENT/CEO. THIS IS A CRIMINAL VIOLATION SUBJECT TO VIOLATION FOR EACH TAXABLE YEAR UP TO 3 YEARS. (This law applies to registering your vehicles/trailers out of state when you are operating in Massachusetts and not conducting normal business in the registered state.
i.e. Massachusetts companies registering vehicle(s) and / or trailer(s) out-of-state